The Board may establish and use a Governance & Human Resources Committee, to assist in oversight of the people side of the School Board. Occasionally these are split into two committees, although to balance workload among board committees, combining them usually makes sense for school boards.
A Governance Committee’s role is to oversee the effectiveness of the board and committees, including:
- formulating and recommending governance principles and policies;
- board and committee member education and training including filling gaps in skills/competency matrix;
- monitoring and safeguarding board independence and effective functioning;
- board and committee evaluation;
- board orientation and onboarding;
- governance documentation;
- conduct and ethics policies.
A Human Resources Committee’s role is to oversee the employment relationship with the Director of Education, and staff strategically, including:
- developing Director of Education performance objectives and measures;
- conducting an annual Director of Education evaluation;
- reviewing and recommending Director of Education compensation;
- overseeing management succession plan;
- strategic human resources and compensation design and policy oversight;
- oversight of labour relations and collective bargaining, including local bargaining.